Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Gear Daddy: Successeries

One part of running that has exploded over the past ten years is the number of marathons out there for folks like us. There has also been a huge spike in the number of running accessories. When I leave my house for a run, or pack my bag for an MDRA run, it never ceases to amaze just how much gear I am toting along for the run. So here are my top five favorite running accessories, in order of least to most vital.

5. Heart Rate Monitor I haven't used a heart rate monitor since college, but it is the best way to guarantee you are letting your body recover on easy tempo days. It will beep when your heart is pumping too fast for a recovery day (I'm guessing, but I think that would be around 120 beats per minute for most people). Click here for more on heart rate training.

In college our coach made use heart rate monitors on our easy days, because he knew it was impossible for a bunch of 20 year-old boys to do any form of a run or jog without turning it into a race. So we still raced, of course, to see who could go the fastest and still keep their heart rate in recovery range. It was a mark of shame to have your monitor beep on you. I'm sure watching this was as exciting as watching an underwater swimming race.

4. iPod Shuffle I love my iPod shuffle. I use it for easy tempo runs to listen to podcasts and new music so that my mental focus is not on running. This keeps me from running too hard on an easy day. It's much less precise than a heart rate monitor but it works for me.


3. Running Hats Hey did you hear the news! MDRA running hats are on sale for $20.00!!! But I'm not just putting running hats on the list because MDRA is selling them. See, it turns out I'm bald. I used to just wear any old baseball cap to keep the sun off my head and the sweat out of my eyes. But those running hats are clearly superior. They are more comfortable and have that wicking quality.

2. Running Leashes Pancho would should put this #1 on his list, barely nosing out sticks and stray tennis balls he finds on the run. I used to run with a traditional leash, but now I have one of those leashes that loops around your waist.



The only reasons this dog likes me is because I feed him, exercise him, and sneak beer into his water bowl when Emily's not looking.

I was hesitant to try out these running leashes because I didn't think I'd be able to keep Pancho right next to me, like I can with a regular leash. But Pancho is highly malleable, so it didn't take long to train him. So I recommend the leash to anyone who runs with a dog. You can keep your regular running form, reducing the chance of injury.

1. Body Glide The only thing worse than seeing a guy with bloody nipples post-marathon is being the guy with bloody nipples post-marathon. With Body Glide, chafing and bleeding are things of the past, right there with the Fuller brush man and the dinosaur. Available at fine running stores everywhere.

Apply liberally before every long run on ANYWHERE that friction may occur. That is: any place where skin contacts other skin ot clothing. I have had freaking chafing where the neckline of my shirt rubbed my neck, my armpits rub, my waist meets the waistline of my shorts... You get the idea. And with that being said, it should be obvious why you don't really want to borrow someone else's Body Glide.

And beware: Body Glide comes in a container that looks a lot like a deodorant stick. I have been known to put Body Glide under my armpits and deodorant everywhere else because I wasn't paying attention.

Anyone have a list, or one or two must-have accessories?

3 comments:

MDRA said...

Two Toms Blister Shield & Sport Shield are the best thing that has ever happened to me. Unless my wife reads this blog, then she is number 1 and Blister Shield is a close second. It's like an extra-slippery longer-lasting version of Bodyglide in either powder or rollon form.

-colin

Kirk said...

Me? When the Body Glide just isn't enough, I throw on "Nip-Guards". You can find them at www.nipguard.com. Honest. They work. Just don't leave them on after you've shed your shirt.

Unknown said...

BeatScanner and Repacer are freeware programs that help you pick the best music for your workout. BeatScanner will tell you which songs on your mp3 player provide you with a particular number of beats per minute (bpm). Repacer will modify favorite songs to fit the desire bpm for your workout. Both programs are available for free at: www.bestworkoutmusic.com