Thursday, July 5, 2007

Gear Daddy: Shoes Make the Runner

Over the past ten years, I have really made some changes about my views on gear and even gadgets when it comes to running. I used to be pretty adamant that all you needed to run was the right shoes, a pair of Umbros, cotton socks, and a cotton shirt. To spend any money on gear beyond that was silly. Of course I also used to swear I'd never get a cell phone because they were silly and extravagant. And the idea of putting a camera on a phone? Who would ever want that?

So, just as I have to admit that my life is made easier with these cell phone thingies, I also have to say that running in something else besides cotton has made running a lot more comfortable. Therefore, each week I hope to spend a little time talking about gear.

For those of you anticipating which GPS I reccommend, I have some bad news: I just became okay with using an iPod every now and then on runs. It will take many more moons before I am ready to try out a GPS.

But I will start out with running gear that we can all agree is important (except for a certain Kiwi who ran barefoot on Tuesday): shoes. It's a timely topic because this Saturday is shoe day at Marathon Sports for all members of the MDRA FMTP.

I will leave the insights and advice on what makes a great running shoe to the experts at Marathon Sports. But I will say this: one shoe definitely does not fit all. Once you find a shoe that works for you, latch onto it. Hope that the company never changes or drops that shoe. You have struck gold.

But sometimes the shoes don't change so much as the runner. Up until a year ago, I had always worn the Asics 2000/2100 series. They were durable and I never had an injury (at least not one caused by my shoes). But then about two years ago, I had this nagging case of plantar fasciitis. My feet were getting old, it turns out. I talked to an expert at a running store about this and he suggested I try the Asics Empire. Since I have done that, I would estimate the pain from plantar fasciitis has been reduced by 80% and I only feel it for a few minutes when I first wake up.

And I am very nervous because the Gel Empire is not a huge seller for Asics. What if they stop making them next year, or the year after that? If they do, I'll be making a trip back to a running store to see what my next option is.

So Asics work for me. I tried the Nike Air Pegasus many years ago and got an IT band injury. I switched over to Asics and the IT band pain never returned.

So am I telling you to buy Asics and not Nike? No. Not at all. Buy what works for you.

The Nike Air Pegasus is a great shoe. Like the Asics 2000/2100 series, it has been on the market for years and has a large group of loyal users. It's just not for me. And I'm sure there is someone reading this thinking, "How can you possibly wear Asics? They gave the worse shin splints ever!!"

Well, to quote the Texas troubador Guy Clark, "One man's duece is another man's ace."

Happy hunting on Saturday. Listen to the shoe experts at Marathon Sports. Your feet will be in good hands.

And for those of you who already have a shoe that you love, what works for you?

4 comments:

Kirk said...

My shoe hint is to get two different shoes and alternate them throughout the week. That way you are working different muscles in your body on every (other) run, thereby reducing the risk of a repetitive injury. I finally talked my wife into doing this and she is now a believer in my two shoe theory!

Ed Kohler said...

My shoe theory is to buy a bunch of a shoe you like before they change the model. Places like Amazon.com or online running stores usually offer great discounts on discontinued models, so stock up while you can.

MDRA Coaches said...

Good point Kirk. Don't some people claim that your shoes will endure more miles if you alternate them and give them more time to rest? I know there is a school of thought that says that.

And picking up where Ed left off, Run N Fun on Randolph has a room full of discontinued shoes on sale for a discount. I've never had this problem, but some folks say that shoes with an old shelf-life, even if unused, are stiffer and have lost some of their cushioning.

Unknown said...

I found out (back in the mid- / late 90s when I first started running) that Adidas were too heavy, New Balance were too hard, and Nike and Saucony seemed to work for me. I like Men's shoes for some reason (even though I am a chick), so I have been running the last few years in Saucony Grid or some variety (currently: the Phoenix). I tried some Asics 1100 series and they blew out in less than 200 miles. I was not impressed. Maybe I need to step it up and pay a few extra bucks for the "better" Asics. For now, I've got a bunch of Sauconys since I managed to find an outlet going out of business. Run on!