Monday, July 23, 2007

Gear Daddy: A Shorts Is a Shorts, Of Course, Of Course

I'm so glad it's not January and we have to talk about running jackets and pants. I'm also glad we have more choices for running shorts besides cotton Adidas shorts vs. Umbro soccer shorts. Actually, as I think about it, there was a brand of running shorts back in the day. The "New Zealand" brand.

There are two big requirements I have for shorts. They need a pocket that securely closes and they need some length. Actually, the general public requires that shorts that I wear come with length. Few things are more horrifying than a bald, pale Polish guy running around with blindingly white chicken legs.

For some reason I have never bought Nike running shorts, but here the some shorts that I do like (it's a short list):

Brooks

So Brooks shorts are made with a very light material and they have pockets that Velcro shut (which keeps me from stressing out the entire run about losing my keys, chalk, and/or Gu).

Adidas

By far and away my favorite brand of shorts. It's not even close. They come with a pretty deep pocket in the back that zips shut. I never have to worry about my keys falling out. I have fit three Gu packs back there for a marathon. My iPod shuffle and keys go in there easily as well. Plus the shorts themselves come in varying lenghts, meaning no matter how short or tall I grow, I can always find a pair that will cover my knee caps.

Like the Asics Gel Empire, I worry what I would do if these Adidas shorts were discontinued. What's the skinny on other shorts I missed?

No comments: