Thursday, July 5, 2007

Gear Daddy: Shoes Make the Runner Part II

Like oops. Those that know me are aware that I am obsessed with arranging top five lists. So I meant to add a top five list to this morning's post, but ran out of time because I had to go that real job I have that takes up all my time.

So here we go...

TOP FIVE FAVORITE RUNNING SHOES

5. Nike Waffle Racer Okay so this is technically not a distance training shoe, and definitely not a marathoner's shoe. And I've never actually owned a pair of these. But I have to give a nod to Bill Bowerman, one of our founding fathers of distance running in the United States. He invented the waffle racer by pouring rubber into his wife's waffle iron and using that for the sole of his shoe. It's not altogether this simple, but in some ways, one could say this moment was part of the birth of Nike.

4. Adidas Marathon Trainers The first pair of running shoes I ever owned. The rubber sole was textured with the Adidas logo. Not a lot of ventilation or cushion with these shoes. I bought them as a freshman in high school because they had the retro 70s vibe to them. It turns out they still are retro and cool. Now they're fashion shoes, but in no way are they meant for running anymore.

3. Converse Running Shoes I can't even find a picture of these bad boys on the interwebs. But I promise, Converse used to make a running shoe. I wore them through most of high school for training. They were big, silver (or were they tan?), and absurdly supportive. This was back in the late 1980s. Converse got out of the running shoe scene, which is how I eventually ended up wearing Asics.

2. Asics 2100/2000 From the early 1990s to 2005, I wore this series. Definitely for over ten years. That is a heck of a run.

1. Asics Gel Empire I could probably still run in the 2100 series, but feet my wouldn't like it. Well, in the Empires my feet tolerate running, even if they aren't thrilled about it on occasion. Thanks to this switch in shoes I'm able to look like I'm only twice my age when I limp out of bed each morning, instead of three times my age.

Well enough about me. Anyone bold enough to submit a list?

4 comments:

Kirk said...

5) Solomon Trail Shoes--the best trail shoes on the market. Great lacing system and some seriousness ruggedness makes these shoes the best.
4) Adidas Boston--My favorite in my mind, but since I haven't worn them in so long, I can't put them as #1.
3) Nike Free 5.0 v2--Great shoe. Most people don't wear them for training, but I do.
2) Nike Free 3.0--Even better than the 5.0. Less support, less everything. These bad boys really strengthen your feet.
1) Asics DS Trainers--Year in year out my favorite. Now if they could make them last longer than 250 miles...

MDRA Coaches said...

Marty gave me his top list, but for some reason didn't post it here. So I'll do it for him.

Coach Marty Humphrey's Top Five Favorite Running Shoes:
5) Sonni Dyer's shoes I had to borrow them since I forgot to bring my shoes. I end up setting my 10k PR. I have no idea what they were.

4) Brooks Chicago- Best racing flat ever. I don't think that they even made them for retail. I was on their tester list. I guess they didn't like my opinion.

3) New Balance 400 series- You could run over 1,200 miles in these shoes. Just add shoe goo.

2) Nike Pegasus- I am have them

1) Asics Epirus- The shoe before the gel series came out. It was huge in the 80s but then discontinued and they brought them back in the early 90s

Anne said...

The shoes I have named to my top five were put on the list for various reasons:

5 - The first Nikes that showed the air - I think they were the Nike Air Max. I thought they were so cool. I was running high school track at the time and I had to have a pair. I found some on clearance (the only way my mom would actually buy them for me, they were a bit expensive) but they were a half size too small. It didn't matter...fashion comes at a price. I think I wore them for 3 months...

4 - My high school track/cross country spikes - there's something cool about clicking across pavement on your way to do battle on the track. They were even cooler when you put really long cross country spikes in them...they were like weapons.

3 - The Saucony Grid Web circa early 2000s. My first pair of really colorful running shoes. I wore them for training and for races and for some reason they got a lot of attention. I think most other shoes at the time were mostly white. I thought they made me look fast and they were so comfortable...it was like putting on slippers every time I headed out for a run.

2 - The Nike Frees - They're all great (from the 3.0 to the 7.0). These shoes feel good and I really do think they improve my form. Also, my right and left foot strike the ground differently, so having a shoe that has truly no motion control works well for me. I only wish I liked the colors better...

1 - My favorite shoes of all time, the Saucony Grid Jazz for pure nostagia reasons. I wore these shoes through most of high school (save for my Nike Air Max experience). They fit well, I never got injured, they had the really cool triangle pattern on the bottom. I never really thought about the fact that they were a sort of dull blue/grey color. I kept wearing them in college (although I can probably count on one hand how many times I ran in college) and one of my college roommates told me they were really ugly...maybe even the ugliest shoes she had ever seen. I never did trust her fashion sense.

MDRA said...

5) New Balance 1023 - These shoes will last longer than your car.
4) New Balance 829 - Super light with cool, wavy vertical stripes that made you looks like a cat on the prowl.
3) New Balance 833 - Update of the 829, easily the most blister-proof shoe I've ever worn.
2) Saucony Fast Twitch Endurance - Featherweight racing flat for all of your high-speed pursuits.
1) Mizuno Wave Rider 9 - Light, Fast, Sexy. Just like me.