Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Did You Get The Memo?

MDRA is putting coversheets on all its TPS reports from now on.

I realize that Office Space reference may not hit home with all of you, but I bring it up for a reason. Managing a successful marathon is a lot like running a successful business.

Running a 5k? Heck that's like running a lemonade stand. Good marathon runners have as many policies and rules as a well run small business. But like a good business these policies allow for flexibility to cope with change.

As a marathoner, the more analytical and professional you are over your first 20 miles, the more likely you are to have an enjoyable last 6.2 So I would recommend spending the final week and half of your marathon coming up with your own personal marathon policies.

Make you own memo. Below are some policies I would put into my own marathon.

I will not look at the forecast until 72 hours before the marathon.

The folks I did all my 20 milers with are my training partners. They are not my race partners. I will run my own race, no matter how good or lousy my friend feels.

The only agreement I will make with a friend is, in a marathon, neither one of us is obligated to run with one another at anytime. If we end up running together, it is more by chance and choice than obligation.

When I visualize the marathon between now and October 7, I will take the time to consider picture every possible weather condition. Just because it was cool and tonight doesn't mean it will be either of these things in ten days.

I have three goals in mind, a high goal, a medium goal, and a low goal (my low goal in every marathon is to finish). I will decide 30 minutes before the marathon starts which goal I should shoot for.

I will start out the first five miles at goal pace and then evaluate how I feel. I will adjust up or down between my three goals according to how I feel. Repeat at miles 10 and 15.

Between mile one and mile 20, every time I think "I feel awesome! I'm going to pick up the pace," I will make myself SLOW DOWN (unless I'm at miles 5, 15, or 20 and have made a policy-based decsion to go for a higher, pre-established goal).

On each hill between the Sculpture Garden and St. Thomas, I will focus on maintaining a consistent effort, not speed. At least three people should pass me on each hill.

At each mile I will remember something to be grateful for.

If you are a social person, you may make a policy to talk to a new person at every mile.

If you are like me, you may not like socializing and meeting new people in a race (races may be the only place where I finally stop talking). So my policy is if the guy running next to me wants to swap life stories or has decided his job is to "pump the crowd up," I will slow down, and let him run from me, rather than try to race away from him.

Have a policy about the water stops. Walk through them if you want to use them as a break. If you want to get in and out, make it your policy to find other places along the course to take it easy. Marty recommends taking a break every 7 miles. Take a whole mile off, and slow down about 10 sec over that one mile, and then return to your previous pace. I have tried this and it works really well for me. Again, it keeps from being tied to one pack of runners and being swayed by how they are running.

Everytime a wave of runners passes me over the first 15 miles I remind myself, "If I keep running my race plan and manage each mile well, I will pass over 75% of these people in miles 21 through 26.2."

No matter what, never forget: any day you can run is a great day for a run!

Any other policy suggestions?

4 comments:

Kirk said...

Wow. Nice memo--Words Of Wisdom indeed. I've already broken one of your rules and have started to look at the weather. I can't help myself. I know it is ridiculous considering I don't even believe the weather guy when he says it is going to rain today...

Anne said...

I like the idea of setting rules and I like your list of rules.

I'm a little less disciplined so I wait until about 15 to re-evaluate and make a move to a faster pace. I always feel awesome at 5 miles but 15 is when I can generally tell how the rest of the race goes.

One of your rules is a new thought for me...
"At each mile I will remember something to be grateful for."
It's perfect. I'm going to try it this year...I think it will help me keep the big picture in mind...for today, the marathon is the most important thing...tomorrow it may be something entirely different.

Unknown said...

This is my 1st marathon, so I don't have any "tried and true" methods for the mental battle of the marathon. I appreciate the ideas you supplied and I'll *try* to remember them all during race day. One thing I read in my zillions of marathon books is, "If a mile is really tough, dedicate it to someone really important to you and think about how she/he/they have helped you." It sounds hokey and new agey, but whatever gets you through, right? I won't need those mental games, though, since I read Kirk's play-by-play and am now guaranteed to run 2:47. I'll be running too fast to think. Beijing, here I come!

Unknown said...

PS: I liked the Office Space reference. While I'm writing, I'll just ask you, "Have you seen my Swingline stapler? I left it on my desk."