Sunday, April 29, 2007

All Gu-News is Good Gu-News

The following is an interview that will be published in "Running Times" magazine in the near future (but probably not). I was honored when they sent a correspondent to ask me questions about my GU usage.

What type of GU do you use?
I use PowerBar Gel. It comes in a fancy gold packet AND it says it has 4 times the sodium. 4 times more than what, I'm not sure, but at Grandma's marathon they serve Ultima which has NO electrolytes and, as a "salty sweater", I need to replace what I lose. I don't normally drink caffeine, so I avoid the GU with caffeine and am therefore limited on flavors. Historically my favorite flavor is tropical fruit, but I didn't find it at REI this year, so I'm testing caramel and "Plain Energy". Both are good, but the jury's still out. Last Saturday someone mentioned "margarita" flavor, which sounds like a dream to me. I'm keeping my eye out.

How often do you GU?
During a marathon I will GU 3 times. Generally I'll GU somewhere between 7-9 miles, near 14 and about 20-21, depending on where the water stops are. I always take GU with water, never with energy drink. During a 20 mile training run I'll typically GU twice, once at 6 miles and once at 13 miles.

How do you carry your GU?
Normally I'll put a pin through the top part of the packet and pin it to the waistband of my shorts, then flip the bulk of the GU to the inside of my waistband so it doesn't bounce around while I'm running. When I need to take the GU I tear the packet, leaving the very top pinned to my shorts. Two lessons I've learned while using this technique: the GU packets come with some sharp corners so I always trim them round, and you should always use Body Glide where you expect the GU packet to sit against your skin. Last year I bought a pair of shorts with pockets across the back. They are very handy for storing GU, but I (and the seat of my car) learned an important lesson...don't put the GU in your pocket before you drive. Wait until you get to your destination, THEN put the GU in your pocket.

What was your biggest GU disaster:
I decided to take a GU on the way to the start line of TCM 2003. I had never taken one before running, but I decided it couldn't hurt. I was wrong. I had an upset stomach the entire race.

Top 4 GU rules:
1. Tangerine Gu does not substitute for Body Glide, other flavors are untested
2. On marathon day don't GU more than you're used to
3. During a marathon don't try a GU that you've never used before
4. Check the expiration date on your GU...I'm not sure it means anything, but do you really want to risk it?

1 comment:

TurkeyBucket said...

It's not all about the GU you know. How about some love for Shot-Bloks. They're hip, they're fresh, they've got it going on, and they never judge you. Experts are even predicting that GU will soon be the 8-track of food-like substances. Remember the McRib? Flan? Franken Berry cereal? All of them hung on too long. For shame. So get in on the ground level and check out Shot-Bloks before it was cool to check out Shot-Bloks. Word!