Sunday, August 5, 2007

Weeks Five and Six: I-35W

It is hard to talk to talk about what happened on Wednesday when the bridge collapsed. I am still processing it all. It may not even feel 100% real until I actually see for myself what happended.

My plans that evening were to go for a run, eat dinner with my wife, and blog about socks and the week that was. And then the bridge collapsed, and suddenly the pros and cons of Nike running socks really wasn't on my mind anymore.

I was gathering my dog and his leash, so we could go for our run when my wife called me upstairs to tell me that some bridge collapsed. Like many of you, we could not imagine exactly what this meant until we saw the images.

Each of us will respond to what has happened in his or her own personal way.

This is how I will respond: I will race. No matter what happens, I will finish happy and aware of the blessings I have. It will do nothing to ease the pain and suffering our city is feeling. But if I can savor my blessings, like being able to run every day, it is one small way I can honor those who lost loved ones or their own life on I-35.

So I will be running the TC10 with a heavy heart. But even so, matter what happens with my race, it will be a great day.

No comments: